Wednesday 16 January 2013

BASIL PESTO

I have decided to start making my own condiments, nothing beats home made! All the preservatives and additives in store bought condiments are terrible, it is my goal to try and make all my own fresh condiments, sauces and seasoning. I made this basil pesto and wasn't surprised to notice how much better fresh home made condiments taste! check it out~




INGREDIENTS: ( Yields 1/2 cup)

1 cup fresh basil leaves
1/4 cup pine nuts
1/3 cup organic olive oil
Salt to taste
(you can add a TBS of Parmesan cheese for a true italian style pesto if you have dairy in your diet)

DIRECTIONS:

- In  a food processor combine basil leaves, pine nuts and salt, pulse until chopped well
- slowly add the olive oil blending some more, you can also add the parmesan cheese now if you decide to use it.
- Store in refrigerator and use within 1 week